North Rockford Middle School Athletics397 E. Division Street
Rockford, MI 49341
Kevin O'Rourke, Activities Coordinator
FALL SPORTS SEASONS WILL START IN AUGUST 2015 - PLEASE WATCH FOR UPDATED INFORMATION
Welcome to North Rockford Middle School. If your child is planning to participate in sports this year, you may find the following information helpful.
ATHLETIC SCHEDULES MAY BE ACCESSED HERE: SCHEDULE STAR
- 78ER FOOTBALL INFORMATION (SUMMER MEETING)
- MIDDLE SCHOOL CHEER INFORMATION (SUMMER MEETING)
- 7th and 8th Late winter sports are Boys Swim and Dive, Wrestling and Girls Basketball. You must have your physical on file at NRMS or ERMS before practice to participate. Practices begin January 14th for Wrestling. Girls Basketball and Boys Swim and Dive begins January 19th. Swim takes place at NRMS after school from 2:45-4:45, Girls Basketball and Wrestling practices are 2:45-4:30. Game schedules can be found on our athletics page.
- ATHLETIC SEASONS:
Girls Swim & Dive
Boys Swim & Dive
Track & Field
Winter 1 season begins January, 2016.
Spring season begins March, 2015.
Rockford Public Schools require all athletes to have a physical on file before a student may try out or participate in a sport. You may pick up a physical form in the main office. You must return the completed form, with physician's approval, to the main office prior to tryouts. All sports physicals must be dated after April 15, 2014 to be valid for the 2014-2015 school year.
Academic Eligibility Policy for 7th and 8th Grade:
- An athlete must pass at least five classes with a minimum of three C's.
- Ineligible students will serve a two-week period of athletic ineligibility. If grades have met the standards, the athlete will then be allowed to compete. If the athlete has not attained minimum standards after the initial two-week period, grades will be checked on a weekly basis thereafter to determine eligibility/ineligibility.
- If ineligibility takes place during the in-season, the athlete must still attend all practices and team functions per the coaching staff.
- Semester grades (1st and 2nd) take precedent over nine-week grades (2nd and 4th) in determining eligibility.
Middle School - A Team Sports $90 per sport
Middle School - B Team Sports $90 per sport
Family Maximum - $350 per family
Practices generally take place after school at 2:30 pm. The coach will provide you with a practice and game schedule. We will provide transportation to and from away athletic events. For contests at East Rockford Middle School, transportation will be provided to the contest only. Athletic events generally start at 4:00 pm.
Athletes are required to follow Rockford's Athletic Training Code. Parents and students should read this information and contact the office with questions or concerns in regards to either the training code or the Athletic Discipline Policy.
Listed below is information regarding the sports offered at NRMS:
78er Football: Sponsored through Rockford Community Services, the season begins mid-August and runs through the first of November. The program is available for 8th graders. However, 7th graders may participate with athletic director approval. Games are held on Wednesdays at 7:00 pm.
Sideline Cheerleading: Season - mid-August through October. No tryouts required. Available for all 7th and 8th grade students. Squads will cheer only at home football games.
Competitive Cheerleading: Season - November through January. Tryouts required. One team (per MS): 7th and 8th. Squads will cheer and compete in competitive tournaments.
Basketball (Girls): Season - late January through March. Tryouts required. Two teams will be selected from each grade level.
Basketball (Boys): Season - November through mid January. Tryouts required. Two teams will be selected from each grade level.
Cross Country (Co-Ed): Season – August through October. Boys and girls will compete separately. Meets are on Wednesdays with invitational meets on Saturday.
Tennis (Girls): Season - late August through October. No tryout required.
Tennis (Boys): Season - April through May. No tryout required.
Wrestling: Season - mid January through March. No tryout required. Wrestlers will compete by weight classification.
Volleyball (Girls): Season – begins when school starts after Labor Day. Tryouts required. Two teams will be selected from each grade level.
Swimming (Girls): Season - mid November through mid January. No tryout required. Swimmers will practice at North Rockford Middle School. Divers will practice at Rockford High School.
Swimming (Boys): Season - late January through March. No tryout required. Swimmers will practice at North Rockford Middle School. Divers will practice at Rockford High School. (We will combine with East Rockford Middle School to make one team.)
Track & Field (Co-Ed): Season – April through May. No tryout required. Boys and girls will compete separately.