Board of Education trustee Miles Postema has informed the Board of Education of his resignation as a board trustee effective July 5, 2021. Mr. Postema has served on the RPS Board of Education since 2004 and in his resignation letter, he states, “My responsibilities as the Vice President and General Counsel at Ferris State University continue to grow limiting the time I can devote to the District…I have truly valued the opportunity to work with great board colleagues, an extraordinary superintendent, and excellent and dedicated teachers, staff and administrators.”
When a vacancy occurs on a local board of education, the board has 30 calendar days to fill the vacancy. Therefore, the RPS Board of Education will accept applications for candidates interested in completing Mr. Postema’s term, which runs through December 31, 2022. This seat will be placed on the November 2022 ballot for a full four-year term to begin January 1, 2023, and the successful appointee may petition to appear on that ballot if he or she so chooses.
Those wishing to apply must do so, in writing by 12:00 noon on Wednesday, July 21, 2021. Interviews will be conducted the evening of Wednesday, July 28, 2021.
Applications should include a letter of interest and the following:
- biographical information, including length of time residing in the Rockford School District,
- relevant employment or other experiences,
- your vision for the Rockford Public Schools,
- how the Board will benefit by your selection as a trustee,
- what you believe the purpose of the Board of Education is,
- any other personal or professional information you wish to share, and
- whether you would like your application reviewed in confidence.
Please ensure delivery by 12:00 noon on Wednesday, July 21, 2021, to:
Nick Reichenbach, Secretary
Board of Education
Rockford Public Schools
350 N. Main Street
Rockford, MI 49341
Please call Superintendent Dr. Michael Shibler’s office at 863-6557 if you have any questions.